Thursday, February 17, 2011

Delish Food....PCS Style :-)

When your stuck in the house all day long with 2 children what do YOU do? There has to be an escape of some kind whether it be sewing, scrap booking, reading, etc.

My escape has become cooking during Brudder's afternoon nap. It seems to be very good stress relief and makes for a home that smells fantastic when Breezy comes in from his long day at the Hangar.

There are many meals that I know Breezy loves and I have always wanted to make them for him. In Germany I had a kitchen FULL of cookware, etc. and never seemed to find the time (or maybe the guts) to prepare them and now were in our new home, with NOTHING (but 1 pot, 1 cake pan, 1 cookie sheet and 1 skillet) and I've managed to make a dish that I know is one of his favorites (and didn't get the look) so far. It was so simple and easy that I decided to share it with you here. I took the recipe from The Pioneer Women and made it fit my cooking needs! I'm going to tell you how I did it and you can decide which way is easier.

Beef Drip/French Dip

4-5 pd Chuck Roast
1 Can Beef Consomme
1 (16 oz) jar sliced Pepper Rings
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Salt and Powder
Pepper
Shredded Carrots (optional)
1-2 Red Onions
EVOO or Butter for Sauteing Onions
Brotchen/Fresh Rolls
Provolone Cheese

Season Chuck Roast with Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder and Pepper and place in large pot. To your pot add consomme, 1/2 jar (or more) of peppers and 1/2 jar (or more) of pepper juice. In a skillet saute' onions and carrots until onions are slightly translucent and add to roast pot. Bring juices to a rolling boil. (I boiled mine for 15 minuted and then flipped my roast over, allowing for both sides to be slightly browned.) Reduce heat to medium/low heat (make sure you keep a simmer going) and place lid on pot. Allow to cook, untouched for 3-5 hours. Once meat is done/falling apart, shred with fork and return to juice for 5-10 minutes for added moisture. In a large bowl strain meat from juice, reserving juice for dipping. Slice rolls cover each side with butter and a little garlic powder, add meat mixture (I spooned a little juice over the top of the meat to keep from getting too dry in the oven), top with Provolone cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.

*You can do this in your crock pot also and cook ALL day on low*

Here is the original recipe that I worked off of from The Pioneer Women;
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/02/drip-beef-two-ways/


No comments: