Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Life As a Military Wife (Part 8: Saying Goodbye....Again)

I absolutely hate telling my husband Goodbye. It is one of the worst feelings in the world for me. I never realized that saying goodbye would become such an important part of my life when my hubby joined the Army in 2006. I've had to tell Wes goodbye now 7 times for extended periods of time.

1. When I dropped him off at the Recruiters office to leave for Basic Training. (6 weeks)

2. When I dropped him off at Ft. Eustis for AIT. (12 Weeks)

3. When I dropped him off at the Atlanta Airport bound for Germany. I was too pregnant at this point to fly so unfortunately I had to stay behind.

4. When we dropped him off at the Atlanta Airport again bound for Germany. He was able to come home for Clark's birth. Clark was only 10 days old when we had to say goodbye. Clark and I had to stay behind until we could get Clark command sponsored and a passport.

5. When Wes left for a 52 days Field Excersise. This was the first time that Clarke and I had been alone in Germany without the hubs.

6. When we dropped him off at the Atlanta Airport once again bound for Germany. Wes brought Clark and I home to stay for the duration of the deployment. This would be the last time we would be in the presence of one another until atleast May of next year. This was the hardest goodbye yet.

7. When we said goodbye via web-cam before he departed for the desert.

This won't be the last time I have to tell my hubs goodbye. I'm more than positive that there will be plenty of others. By this point I think I should be a pro at goodbye, but I'm not. I'll never be good at it. As hard as I may try, it probably will not happen. I'm ok with that NOW. I think!!!! Let me just get this off my chest....I HATE GOODBYES not just with the hubs but with everyone. Give me some imput people. Am I in this alone? Does it ever get better/easier?

P.S. Wes did make it atleast half way there ok and he's doing well. Later this week he'll have some more traveling to do to reach his final destination. He say's its around 132 degrees outside. Other than that he sounded a lot better than he did when we talked on Thursday night before he got on the bus.
"My current lifesong"
Beautiful One
Jeremy Camp
Wonderful, so Wonderful is your unfailing love
Your Cross has spoken Mercy over me
No eye has seen No ear has heard
No heart can fully know
How glorious,How beautiful, You are!
Beautiful One I love
Beautiful One I Adore
Beautiful One My Soul Must Sing
Powerful, So Powerful
Your Glory Fills the Sky
Your mighty work displayed for all to see
The beauty of your majesty wakes my heart to sing
How marvelous, how wonderful you are
Beautiful One I love
Beautiful One I Adore
Beautiful One My Soul Must Sing
You open my eyes to the wonders anew
You captured my heart with this love
Because nothing on earth is as beautiful as you
Jesus
(repeat)


post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodbyes suck so bad. i hate them. i didnt marry my husband to be without him, i married him to spend the rest of our lives together. key word: TOGETHER!!! But the army doesnt care. thats not the life they choose. Its hard. It sucks. But... "with God all things are possible" even when it doesnt feel like it will be.

I love you meg!

Tonja said...

Hi Megan,
I know goodbyes are hard...and I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye so many times. And nothing can make it any easier. But, much of life is lived in seasons. And each one will have hard things to deal with. This is the season of early marriage, and with it comes the goodbyes when you married and left home...and moved across the world! Then the goodbyes little Clarke had to say to that nice, warm womb...so he could say hello to the world. And your hello to motherhood! As you embraced motherhood and life in another country...life moved on and soon good bye to hubby again and hello to family in AL.

My dear, there will be many more hellos and goodbyes as you go through the seasons of life. Some you will welcome, and some will cause you sadness and distress. But, such is life. If all of life was happy and perfect...could we truly appreciate it? We learn to measure the good against the bad...and that's how we see how blessed we truly are. If there are no goodbyes...there can be no hellos. God is IN it all and he will hold you THROUGH it all. He will comfort you through the goodbyes...and rejoice with you in the hellos! And, all will be well.

Love you,
Tonja