Monday, May 05, 2008

My Life As an Army Wife {Part 5: The Buddy System}

Me, Min, Rexy and Amber
Summer 2001

Me, Min, Kat, Ames, and Adrienne
May 2002

Min and her Hubby Brian
"Roll Tide Roll"
(me and Rexy say WAR EAGLE!)

Rexy

Ames


Today I was sitting out in the back yard trying to read. My mind was going in a hundred different directions thinking about what I was going to post today and I began to think about "The Buddy System". In the army it is of vital importance that you have good support system with your family, but also with your girlfriends (many are going thru the same things). I know both my parent's and Wesley's support our decision of being an Army Family whole heartedly. We've had their support from the very beginning. It was a little more difficult for my parents, especially when they found out that I was pregnant and moving to Germany with their first Grandchild. They have accepted that Wes would take their only child and their only Grandchild away to only do what is best for "Our" family in such a time as this.

I've come to discover over the last 19 months the importance of having close relationships with your friends both from "home" and from the installation in which you are stationed at. I have some GREAT girlfriends and a couple of GREAT guy friends back home. You know how you have that little "group" that you spend time with. Well I have a few of those. I went to school in Wicksburg, so I have my Wicskburg Girls. I attended church (and still attend when I am home) at Ridgecrest Baptist in Dothan, so I have my RBC Buddies. I danced in Patti Rutland Jazz and at The Kelly School of Dance, so I have my PRJ/KSD girls. I went to college at The Baptist College of Florida, so I have my BCF Friends. I worked at Florida GA/Acteens Camp, so I have my friends that are "Staffers." Now that I am in Germany I have what I call my "Besties". The list could go on you know. In all of those groups I still ONLY have a handful of friends that I refer to as my very best friends.

Mindy (who's hubby is also in the Army and currently deployed), Rexanne (who's the best hairdresser in the world) and Amy, are my very best friends. If you can go through it, we've been through it together. We've had alot of GREAT times together but we've also been through our share of bull crap together as well. They are my backbone. I would not trade these 2 girls for anything in the world.

Now, I'm in Germany and don't always have that instant access to my girls back in the states. But I still love them dearly and they ALL know how special they are to me and my family!

post signature


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI...I freaking love you megan!!! You always seem to light up my day. I am so blessed to have you as my "bestie" and I am going to be heartbroken when you and Clarke leave. I cant believe I only have a month with you still. Praise God for internet and email! LOVE!!!