Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Life As an Army Wife {Part 7: Accessibility/Convienience}

Accessibility/Convienience is not what you get when you are married to the army.

Yesterday in the morning on post we had a short power outage; maybe an hour max. At around 12:00 p.m. I headed over to the commissary to pick up some a few needed items, what did I find? The commissary was "Closed About Power Outage" the sign stated. Keep in mind the commissary was Closed Sunday like it usually is, Monday for Memorial day, closed because of the power outage on Tuesday and closed AGAIN today like it normally is. So, still no groceries for us. We're not starving though I promise. We could drive 45 minutes to Katterbach to buy groceries, but with the price of Gas..ugh! We can buy some things on the German economy but for the sake of not going broke because of the Euro rate we tend to stick closer to the commissary where we can spend our US Dollars. Thank goodness my little man doesn't mind drinking German milk.

Next, at around 7 p.m. Crash called and asked if we had any gas coupons. I said no, Why? She then proceeded to tell me that the Shoppette was not selling gas because of a pump problem and that they also were not selling gas coupons (used so we can buy gas on the economy at the same price we pay per liter on post). I suggested buying some coupons at the P.X., but oh yeah it's already closed too. We can buy gas on the German economy at the price of like $2 something per liter, and at that rate we would definitely go broke. Once again we do our very best to fill up on post or have previously purchased gas coupons for So Crash, I am sorry that you experienced the lack of accessibility/convince our post gives to our families.

Lastly, our post is not fully-functioning on a daily bases. There are certain places that are only open certain days at certain times. If they are not open here then it is possible that once again we could drive 40 minutes to Katterbach for availability. It's aggravating most of the time.

This is one of the biggest reason's I can't wait to get back to the states. I can drive to the Hop-In or Sam's and fill up with no problem. I can take Clarke to the Pediatrician and not worry about it being closed for Training/or only have 2 Doctors available for a community of 5000 plus.
I can run to the Wal-Mart or any of the other grocery stores and get everything in one stop that I might need or want .

post signature

2 comments:

Tonja said...

Oh, bless your heart! I know this must be so exasperating! How terribly inconvenient! I can understand why you want to get back home...that is something I just take for granted. You can alwys find something open to get just about anything you may need.
Hang in there, dear.

Anonymous said...

Thank God the next day i was able to get gas. Gosh, sometimes living in a smaall community sure is hard. But remember it sure has its pluses! Like ME!!!!!!