Thursday, May 01, 2008

My Life As an Army Wife {Part 4: Grief and Depression}

My Wesley leaving for his Field Mission

No, No, No, I am not grieving nor am I depressed (yet), but I do want to share with you guys a statement that my friend heard at a Family Readiness Group Support Assistant conference 2 weeks ago.

"When a soldier leaves for a deployment, the symptoms/signs from the spouse are often times the same as those of a spouse who has just lost their spouse to death."

I was invited to be a part of the "C4: A Christian Companions Combative Creed" podcast a week or so ago and this was one of our topics of conversation. I had never really thought about the similarities, but whoever made this statement is hitting real close to home. I've not been through a deployment, but we are preparing for one in the near future. I am praying that I do not have to experience these emotions.

So, I've spent some time in the last few days thinking about how I can keep myself from this expereince. This is what I want my mindset to be;

1. Yes, it's ok to be sad and to cry, but I need to be strong for Clarke, he's depending on his Mommy. Most importantly, I need for Wes to know that I can do it!
2. Wes is not gone for good, he WILL be coming home. I'm allowed to miss him. We were ordained to be together as Husband and Wife, and if I am not missing him....something is wrong.
3. I have a WONDERFUL group of friends who are going through the same thing and I. We are called to lift one another up and to carry each others burdens.
4. I serve a Savior who will not give me ANYTHING more than he knows I can handle. I can rely on Him at all times, in all things.




post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, im michelle... my hubby has been deployed for 11 months now. i can say from my experience that the above statement is pretty acurate. i often refer to deployments as a roller coster of emotions. my email is ppiazza3@yahoo.com if u wanna chat