Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas with the Clark-Brezina's

Clark right after they put in the IV. He was so brave. He did better than Mommy.


BoBo assuring Clark that EVERYTHING was going to be alright. He Promised!
He also gave Clark M&M's and Rootbeer in his Cuppy to see if it would make him feel better.
"That Did the Trick" my Daddy Said.

Mommy's Boy on the Way to the Hospital
Hey Yall!
It's been a rough few days. I apologize for not letting you guys know whats been going on with Clark but he's been a very sick little boy.

Here's a little Time Line of Events:

Monday:
Called Dr. L, Clark running temp around 100-101. Surgery early Tuesday morning.

Tuesday:
Up at 3 a.m.
Clark still running temp at 7:15 a.m. when we arrived at Dothan Surgery Center, Dr. L decides to proceed with surgery. Temp was at 100. Dr. F. in anesthisia said said if it was 1 degree higher we would get sent home.
Surgery and Recovery were quick an we were home by 11 a.m.
Clark slept majority of the day but was in a lot of discomfort.
Checked temp off and on all day and gave Tylenol and Motrin to accomodate his needs.

11 p.m.
I think we're down for the night.

Wednesday:
Twas The Day before Christmas

Up at 12:30 a.m. Clark very fussy. Check temp; up to 102.9
More motrin

2 a.m.
Momma gets up to to help hold Clark because he was so restless and I was almost at breaking point.

3:30:
Clark finally dozes off, temp back down around 101

6;:00
Clark up and just as restless as earlier, temp up a little. More Motrin and a few sips of juice. Bath #1 to try and bring his temp dsown,

8:30
We leave to drop off a Breakfast Strata at my Aunts. Everyone was there for Eve Breakfast. I got Clark out of the Car long enough to see everyone, but he fell asleep in my arms.
Home by 10:00. Clarks temp is back up and the congestion and coughing seem to be getting worse. He finally drank his sippy cup, but still had no desire for food. Vomiting begins so we take bath #2.

11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Clark watched cartoons and rested on the couch for most of the day. Mom and I worked hard to get Clark to eat and drink but not with much luck. He did take some sips and at a few cheese crackers but not too many. His temp continued to go up and down.

6:00
Gilmores arrive for present exchange and snacks. Clark enjoyed their visit but stayed on the couch or in my lap majority of the time. He did love his new prizes that he opened!

8 p.m.
when we checked his temp it was 103 plus again. We gave Tylenol and decided to check it again after a little while. Clark did take a few sips again but not enough to count. I checked it again around 8:30 and there was no change, 9 p.m. there was no change.

We called Dr. L and he suggested ANOTHER bath and to bring him to ER if the temp had not broken and stayed broken by 6 a.m.. I was concerned about dehydration, but the Dr. said that as long as he was drinking something it was better than nothing, especially with a very sore throat. To the tub we went. I could slowly see the color coming back into his little face, but he was so miserable. After his Vicks bath he decided he would eat a Fruit Chiller and drink some of Gram's sweet tea. I was SOOO thankful. Checked his temp again and it was back down to 101.8, notice I didn't say that it was breaking.

10:30
We're in bed FINALLY. As always we turned the Cool Mist on and Clark climed in his bed with his new Wooly Bear and Spidey Man blanket that Deb Deb and Tim Tim brought him for Christmas earlier in the evening.

12:30
Its finally time for Mommy to go to bed. Santa has come and we've gotten all the gits out and ready for a little boy to be surprised in the morning. I checked the temperature right before I climbed in bed and it was still around 101, which to me was still low grade. His little body was still cool and he seemed comfy.

2:30
I got up to check his temp and it was back up to right at 102. I woke him up just enough for some Motrin and he went right back to sleep.

3:30, 5:00, 6:30
Checking the temps again

7:30
Merry Christmas!!!

I get up out of bed hoping that we were about to start our day off feeling better. Boy was I wrong. Clark got up a few minutes later and came down stairs with not a care in the world that Santa had brought a TON of cool new toys. Temp was still down around 101, but you could look at the little man and tell his world had been turned upside down. He did play with some of his toys, but after about 2 hours it was like he just took a complete turn for the worse.

10 a.m.
We couldn't get him to drink ANYTHING at this point and it was almost like he was here with us but in another place at the same time. No wet diapers since about 12:30 last night (and it wasnt even really wet then). Temp was around 102 at this point. He became very restless and after a little Tylenol he finally dozed off. Between me and the 2 dogs watching over him, he probably wished we would stop staring.

10:30 a.m.
Off to get dressed I go. Daddy had been on the phone with his friend that is an ER Dr. and who was also on call at SEAMC off an on on Wednesday and was back on with him first thing in the morning. I decided I couldn't do it ANYMORE. I could literally SMELL the infection coming out of Clark's skin. It was disgusting. I got dressed (sorta) and Dad and I loaded up little Clark in his jammies and off we went to the hospital.
*on a funny note; Daddy smelled the same smell I was smelling but he thought it was his armpits. I died laughing when I noticed him smelling hiself over and over again. I made him smell Clark when we got to the hospital and he was thankful that it wasn't him after all*

11: a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thankfully they took us right in when we got to the ER. THANKS DR. B!!!! They did Chest and Neck X-Rays. Chest should lots of congestion (which we already knew) and the Neck would show us that Clark's little throat (not tonsils) was swollen quiet a bit. They ran an IV and filled my baby with fluids, antibiotics and steroids. They also took blood from the line that showed his White Blood count was down and his Blood Sugar was up. It also showed what we suspected INFECTION. My poor baby :-(.

Clark was being treated for ear infections and sinus infection prior to the surgery. He had already had 10 days of antibiotics prior to the 23rd. From what I can gather, after the adenoids were removed it exposed OLD infection that had settled from the drainage that was backed up behind the swollen tissue. So old infection plus new infections equal one sick Clark.
Dr. B. wanted to admit Clark to begin with, but while waiting for a bed Clarks temp FINALLY broke and he was sweating it out like a grown man. It went for 103.7 down to 99.6 in no time. As the fluids and antibiotics were running through his veins I literally watched life come back into his body. It was a beautiful, yet pitful site to see. Clark went back to sleep about the time the IV started and we woke him up to get him dressed to go home.

I was worried that I had waited to long to take him in to see the Dr., but they told me that I had done everything just as I should have. I of course felt like an awful mother for not taking him in the night before, but I decided now wasn't the time or place to beat myself up.

They DID release us from the ER around 5:00 P.m. I was starved, tired of reading/but enjoying my new book, my heart patient Dad was a nervous wreck b/c he forgot to take ALL his meds before we left home and my Baby Boy was ready for something to eat thanks to the steroids.

Got home and it was like we left with one child and came home with another. He still wasnt 100% but he ate like a champ, had a little more to drink and actually played for just a little while with his new toys.

9:00
time for bed. temps at about 100.
I gave Tylenol and off to sleep we went

12:30
Clark wakes up screaming
He's soaking Wet from head to toe.
The temperature has broken AGAIN and my baby was Miserable.
I finally sustained him with some TLC and a little juice around 1:15 and he went back to sleep.
I put him in bed with me and he slept until 9 a.m.

Yesterday (Friday) was MUCH better. He didn't take a nap, and ohhhh how I wished he would. He did play with his new toys, but he still laid around ALOT. He was more alert and his temp has seemed to stay down for the most part. I even got him to go for a walk outside which he and I both enjoyed. He ate lots of Chicken Nuggets that BOBO brought from KFC and drank almost an entire bottle of Pedialite.

We're not well yet of course. We've still got a YUCKY cough and lots of snot but we are on the road to well. I am thankful for my wonderful parents who have helped sustain me and keep me sane, my aunt and uncle who have been here on and off since Tuesday night staying every night until 10 or 11 p.m. just to hold and love my little boy and for my wonderful Husband who has called me almost everyday just to say I LOVE YOU!

We were up at 3:30 a.m. so I think it's getting close to nap time again for both the little boy and myself!!!I'm sorry for the late notice, but I will update again soon with our Christmas Surprises from the Hubs and Santa.


3 comments:

Tonja said...

This will be a Christmas to Remember! Glad he is better. Now...no beating yourself up for not taking him sooner. You followed your instincts and you got him there when it mattered most. Trust yourself, my dear. God gives us Moms intuition...and if we follow it...all will be well. You did and are doing just fine!

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

Hi. I see you follow my blog. How did you find us! Welcome! Tell me your story.....nice to meet you.

FarBink said...

Oh wow Megan. You are such a trooper. It sounds like Clark takes after his daddy and can really take care of himself in a pinch. You three are so great at take of each other. I hope I'm half the mom you are. Love you!