Friday, August 19, 2005

Trouble!

I have been spending a lot of time this week thinking about what Pastor Don preached about this past Sunday. We visited Hiland Park Baptist Church in Panama City and the service was absolutely refreshing. We spent some time James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and completer, not lacking anything." His entire point was what do we do with trouble? What do we let trouble do to us? He He gave some great points that I am trying to apply to my very own life at this very moment.

1. Trouble grows us, it helps us to become more mature in our walk with the Father.
2. Trouble refines us. It takes those pieces of our life that may be falling apart, and does it's very best to mend us back together.
3. Trouble disciplines us. Whether we like it or not we all need discipline in our lives. Sometime it does take us getting ourselves into trouble to realize that we are not in the Father's perfect will.
4. Trouble most importantly sustains us. We must continue to have a sustained relationship with the Lord. He does not desire for us to have an on and off again relationship with Him, but one that is consistent and never ending.

I have always wondered why the writer of James asks' us to consider our trials pure joy. We'll I think I finally understand. I know now that if I can find joy in my troubles and allow the trouble to grow me, to mature me, to refine me, to sustain me, in the end there will be joy that is unending. Indeed, trouble is something that most people hate to deal with. Trouble brings change. Trouble requires stronger faith than most of us want to give. Trouble requires ultimate faith in the Father. Trouble just all in all puts us through a lot of extra work.

Although, I have some trouble in my life at this point, I know that the Father is using it as a growing tool. His desire is not to harm me, but to bring me back on track with him. To make my path clearer so that I may be walking firmly in His ways.

No comments: