Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina this, Hurrican Katrina that....man, thats all we've been hearing about for the last 6 days now. I am just in awe of the mess that this woman has made of LA, MS, AL and FL. New Orleans is torn up from one side to the other and from what they are saying on the television and radio it is going to be more of a clean up process than even Hurrican Ivan.

I spent all night Sunday night after we got home from church watching the Weather Channel just waiting for her to touch land. I kept thinking of Dr. Paula's parents in Gulfport. Paula, Christy, Mims, Mindy, Anna, Nay, Anne, Trey, and Kristen all in Hattiesburg. Dr. Paula, Dominique,Laura, Heather and the Vandercooks down in New Orleans. My dad had finally gotten my Aunt Missy and her daughter Taylor Ann to leave Covington, LA (35 min from N.O.) and come here. If they had still be in Covington, I would have been an absolute nervous wreck.

Since Katrina has touched down, phone lines are gone, cell services are unavailable, and just in general there is no way for me to know if these folks and their homes are ok. I just continue to be hopeful. I know just as soon as they are able, they will contact us one way or another and let us know that they are doing alright. You guys all know me, I am just a worry wart!

I wanna help, but I know that at this point the only thing I can do is pray. My question is though, how do I pray. Do I pray that those individuals sleeping on ramps on the interstate would have a bed tonight. Do I pray that those people that may still be stranded in their homes would be rescued. How should I pray for those that are within the Super Dome now that the Gov. is saying that they must leave. How should I pray for the mobilized relief workers? It's just all so much to take in, but I know that I have been called to stand in the gap in this time of need. So, Lord here I am use me!

Please pray. Pray Hard. Pray Faithfully. Pray Hopefully!

Megan

2 comments:

Jeff Watkins said...

Hey, I have no idea who you are, but I found your blog through Ellis'. I am attending seminary in New Orleans now and I thought I would let you know that I believe Dominique went to Florida to evacuate. The seminary gave a mandatory evacuation to everyone on campus on Saturday, so everybody should be elsewhere. Now we wait to see when we can return.

Anonymous said...

MWAH. I love you.