Thursday, March 26, 2009

Maryland Update

Friends-
I would ask that you would begin to pray today specifically for my Mother and I as we prepare to say goodbye to our Family in Maryland .We are amdist a situation that we knows could need to be taken care of sooner than later. We are in much anticipation.

Mom was in Maryland back in Jan. to visit with my Grandfather and since returning here for a 2nd visit she has noticed a significant downward spirial in the progression of his Alzheimers/Deminsia.

The first day we were here he thought that Mom was a man (and for those of you that know her, if you take a look at her chest you can't deny that she's a woman), and still after 6 days of visiting he still has no idea who any of us are. He refers to Clark as his "little friend" and has continued to call me that "pretty girls that keeps coming and going." Clark and I have been staying at my aunts ALOT and only going over to the Grands for a few hours at a time. There is WAY too much stuff for a 2 year old to get into. She also has a dog and 6 cats in the house.

Grandaddy has done and said some really crazy things since we've been here. For over an hour on Tuesday he sat in his chair repeating "Cindy Lou C-I-N-D-Y-L-O-U, where are you, Cindy Lou" he was also looking for Cinnamon(Cynthia/Cindi is my mom's name). We think that he's looking for my mom as a young girl and is just confused.

I found him dressing in my Grandma's clothes on Tuesday also. He took a long nap in the bed and we think he got up thinking it was Morning and was re-dressing for the day.

He remembers being in the Military like it was yesterday. He knows he was a Sailor for MANY long, hard years, but has told me twice that he was in the Navy for 64 years. He was active duty for 25 years and Civilian for 20 + years. He knows that Breezy is in the army and in the war, he knows that my cousin Corey is in the Air Force and he remembers that my cousin Mandee's husband John is in the Marines. Ask him about any of us girls and he has NO idea.

It's such a sad site for me to see, but I know that this could go on for a long time. He will be 87 this year and I must say up until last year when he had his Brain Surgery he was sharp as a nail. The anurisum (spelling ?) really did him in.

My mom is feeling a little torn about leaving tommorrow, but we know that there is not much we can do at this point. Besides his mind, physically he is still pretty good. He's a little unstable on his feet, but nothing holding onto a cane can't help. My 76 year old Grandmother is getting worn out though, and we know there will come a time for us to make "THAT" dreaded decision. We're just hoping that its not as soon as we think. We've visited the Home for Veterans here in Maryland and it is beautiful and very nice AND There is no waiting list at all. It would be our first pick.

I know this post dosen't make a lot of since but I just needed to get some of this off my chest. Tommorrow I will leave, knowing that this could be the last time I get to see him since I will be returing to Germany in July. Saying goodbye today could be one of the most difficult days of my life. I am praying for a peace that is overwhelming for both my mother and myself.

I've gotten alot of good photo's since I've been here and plan on posting them for you all to see. You'll love the action shots of Clark with his Big Big. They absolutely love one another.

I'll update when I am back in Alabama.

post signature

2 comments:

Tonja said...

I am praying for you, my dear. These are the hards times that test our faith...and the older you get, the more of them you'll have to face. You have sweet memories to give you peace and that is a wonderful thing. So glad you took lots of pics, too. Hope you have some of him in younger days also. I'll pray for safety as you travel, and for peace in your heart as you bid him farewell. You are leaving him in the very capable hands of Our Father. He will be very tender with him. God bless you!

Growing In Grace said...

Hang in there Megan. I know it's hard to see such changes in someone you love, but I know you are a huge blessing to them! Safe travel.