Monday, March 24, 2008

My Life As an Army Wife {Part 1: Seperation}

*My hubby and I on our first Vacation in 2 years*
Gainesville, Florida March 2008

I've decided that for the next, well however long I feel like doing it, I will try to blog every Monday about my life as a Army Wife. There are so many people out there that have NO idea what it's like to be married to a Soldier, so I'll tell you what its like for me to be married to Wesley.

Here's a little bit about our situation. Wesley and I married in July of 2004 at Ridgecrest Baptist Church in Dothan, Alabama. I was attending the Baptist College of Florida and working at Andrews Bridal Shoppe (both FULL time), Wesley was working at Sam's Club full time during the night and attending school 3/4 time during the day. Needless to say, it was very hard on both of us, especially as newlyweds.

In October of 2005 Wesley informed me that he had been to speak to a recruiter and was thinking/praying about joining the Army. I'll be honest with you, I did not like the idea at first, but that was just my gut. Once I had some time to pray about it I was at complete peace with his decision and I immediately gave him my 100% support and PROMISED him that I would support him throughout his career. He said he knew that this was going to be a better future for us as a family, and indeed it has been. He had known since he was a teenager that God had called him to Serve in the U.S. Army, but choose to attend BCF to Major in Church Music. Thank goodness he did, or else I wouldn't be calling him "My Beloved" today!

Move ahead to Jan. 17, 2006 when Wesley left for 6 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 12 Weeks of School at Ft. Eustis. We sold our house on February 2nd and I found out that we were going to be parents on February 5th. (Keep in mind during basic training our only form of communication was through snail mail and the occasional (if he was lucky) telephone call.) I wrote him a letter informing him that he was going to be "My Baby's Daddy!" I kept him updated as best I could of my pregnancy through the mail and he saw me with my baby bump for the very first time when he graduated from BCT the end of March. From April 1 thru July 28th, 2006 while he was in AIT we were able to talk almost daily and I was able to go spend some time with family for a few weeks on the same post he was in school on and was able to spend some time with him on the weekends (I snuck to see him twice during the week too). We found out my due date was October 4th around the middle of July, but in the same week Wes received orders to relocate to Illesheim, Germany on August 17th. Wes graduated from school on the 27th of July and flew into Dothan for 2 weeks of Hometown Recruiting. I loved every minute of him being home with me within kissin' distance (and I still love it) but our time together would be short and I would at this point be completing my pregnancy with my parents.

We were not sure if Wes would make it back to the States in time for Clark's delivery. At 38 weeks I was informed that I would more than likely need a c-section (RED FLAG). My Dr. sent a letter to Wesley's commander whom immediately granted him Emergency Leave starting at 39 weeks. Well friends he made it home on Tuesday (VERY LATE) and Clark was delivered on (Thursday) the afternoon of September 28th 2006. 6 days later Daddy was on his way back to Germany. We would be apart this time until we received Clark's passport, social security card, and birth certificate. By the grace of God things moved along rather quickly and on the day Clark turned 6 weeks old we got the call that his passport had arrived and we were free to fly the next day if we wanted to.

I've been an army wife for 2 years now and I think that it has prepared me well for what will come within the next 4 months. The times of Separation have not been easy (especially with pregnancy hormones), and they will never be on my list of favorite things. I think as an Military Wife separation is just something that you grow accustomed too. It's like if your spouse is not gone for 100-plus days out of a year for training then something just isn't right. I'm getting the hang of him coming and going gradually. I've said it over and over again, I do not know how a single mother does it. Thanks be to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with a good baby!!! Jeremiah 29:11 has become my life verse when dealing with what the Army hands me. I've learned to hold fast to the promises of Christ Jesus and to not be swayed by Satan's evil schemes. We are preparing for a time of change in our lives that you will hear more about closer to time, but because of God's goodness and mercy in our marriage I firmly believe that we will be just fine. Separation can only make us long to be together even more. We started out GREAT as newlywed and 3 1/2 years later we're still going at it stronger than we've ever been before. I truly believe that God doesn't give us more than we can handle at one time. He does give us a variety of things to see if we will do with them as he has directed us too.

P.S. My friends say "We're married to our husband's but the Military oversees our Marriage"

post signature

No comments: